3-year-old Kansas boy dies after dental procedure

A 3-year-old boy in Wichita, Kan., died after becoming unresponsive during a dental procedure, according to local police and as reported by KAKE.

Police were called to a Wichita dental office July 6 to assist emergency medical personnel after a 911 call reported an unresponsive child.

The boy was taken to a local hospital, where he later died, said police spokesperson Trevor Macy.

"It is believed that the child had an unanticipated reaction to medicine provided during the course of his dental procedures,'' Mr. Macy told KAKE. 

Nancy Valenzuela told Fox affiliate KSNW-TV that she took her son, Abiel Valenzuela Zapata, to Tiny Teeth Pediatrics Dentistry because he needed teeth pulled after a gum infection. According to an incident report filed by police and cited by KSNW-TV, the anesthesiologist said the patient was fine for about 30 minutes under sedation, but, as the dentist began work on the boy's lower jawline, his cheek swelled and his pulse slowed.

KSNW-TV contacted the Tiny Teeth Pediatrics Dentistry, but the office was closed, and the publication has not yet received a response.

At this time, there is no criminal investigation.  

This article was updated at 2 p.m. CT July 12 to include new information.

Copyright © 2022 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

Featured Learning Opportunities

Featured Webinars

Featured Whitepapers

Featured Podcast